Skip to contentSkip to site navigation

Summer Programs: Community-Engaged Learning and Community Fellows

Summer Community-Engaged Learning Credit

It is often possible to receive academic credit for a summer internship when it is coordinated with academic work. The requirements are the same as during the academic year. You can start by making an appointment to see the director of community-engaged learning by going to the OCEL Wordpress Site. To log in, please use your Vassar username without the “” Under the Apply Tab, Step 1, click the link to make an appointment with Dr. Lisa Kaul. If you have any questions, please call the office at (845) 437-5280.

You must obtain a Request for Summer Work form from the Community-Engaged Learning Office or the Registrar. This is the summer version of an Add form, and it requires signatures from your academic advisor and faculty sponsor of community-engaged learning. This form is due by the end of May.

You will also need an Internship Proposal form, which you can get when you meet with the director. Fill out as much as you can before you leave campus for the summer, including the sections for the student and faculty sponsor. Bring it to the Community-Engaged Learning Office so we can make a copy before you go. There is a section on this form for your agency supervisor to fill out and sign, so you will need also to bring it to your placement. When they have filled out their piece of the form (and the form is complete), fax it to us at (845) 437-7563, or email it to We do not recommend sending the completed form through the mail. The completed form should be faxed or emailed by the end of June. If your internship does not start until later, please let Dr. Lisa Kaul know when she should expect the form.