A sampling of possibly agency placements.
Community Centers & Tutoring Programs
- R.E.A.L. Skills empowers the youth of Poughkeepsie through programs that target academics skills, social values, and character. Interns typically work in the after school program two days a week.
- Vassar After School Tutoring (VAST) is an academic enrichment and mentoring program housed at Poughkeepsie Middle School. College student mentors are paired one-on-one with Poughkeepsie Middle School students in grades 6-8 to help with homework and developing academic and literacy skills.
- Vassar English Language Learners Outreach Program (VELLOP) provides tutoring services to ELL students throughout the Poughkeepsie Public School District, focused on dropout prevention and literacy improvement. College student mentors work one-on-one with ELL students in their content classes throughout the school day to help them complete their coursework.
- Anderson Center for Autism provides residential and day programs for autistic youth. Student interns may work on research programs, in the school, or in the residences.
- Poughkeepsie Children's Home is a residential home for area children ages 4 through 17 who are emotionally disturbed, abused, or neglected.
Public, Private, Parochial Schools
- Arlington and Spackenkill School Systems are suburban school districts that accept interns for education field work.
- Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) provides public school programs for visually impaired, physically disabled, and emotionally disabled children, as well as providing classes for children with a hearing disability. Interns work as in-class support personnel to teachers.
- City of Poughkeepsie Schools accept education students for internships, as well as hosting the VAST and VELLOP programs.
- Holy Trinity, Our Lady of Lourdes High School, and Oakwood Friends School, are local private and parochial schools that accept interns for education field work.